Hi Guys! I came across Flo’s blog a while back and I decided that a spotlight on her work was very needed! I had a brief written interview with her, check it out below! Enjoy!
*Tell me your full name and a brief bio on yourself-
My Name is Florence Akpan, I am Nigerian and a certified Ibibio girl. I am also a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) by profession and I work as a Finance and Accountability Manager in Saskatchewan. I have lived in Saskatchewan since I moved to Canada in 2004. So basically you can call me a Saskatchewan girl. As the Nigerians will say, Saskatchewan has become my village. I did not think I would last this long in this province but it has turned out to be a great blessing to my family and I. I am also a Permanent Resident in Canada working on the citizenship process now.
*Do tell about Cannime.com –
Cannime.com is a blog/ website that provides information on how to come and achieve success in Canada to prospective and current immigrants in Canada.
* What and what inspired you to start this blog?
This blog was inspired by my desire to;
• See immigrants especially international students succeed and become well integrated into the Canadian System.
• Ensure that immigrants do not make avoidable mistakes and are well informed.
• Stay updated with the immigration laws and how it relates to immigrants.
The story below sum up my reason for starting Cannime:
During my undergraduate studies, I was so focused on finishing my program and graduating in 4 years that I missed out on the best opportunity to gain valuable Canadian work experience while in school. In my school (University of Saskatchewan) most graduates especially in Edward School of Business had their fulltime jobs by the end of the first semester of their Last year. And based on my discussion with most of my colleagues who got job offers, they had done at least a 4month internship (co-op) and some of the employers re-hired them or some found better jobs.
I applied to a lots of jobs during that recruiting session, got invited for three interviews and did not get any of the jobs. The fear of graduating came on me… lol. Am I going to be one those jobless graduates? I kept applying and just before my final paper, God came through, I jot a job offer! It was April 16th 2009 I still remember that day. So basically, it took me almost another semester to secure a job. Although I had some customer service work experience, these employers felt more comfortable hiring those students who had more accounting related work experiences. If I had more business/Accounting related work experience on my resume, I could have had an offer way sooner.
Furthermore, when I started working (my first job was with the Government of Saskatchewan) I realized there was something called seniority and a colleague of mine whom we started work together on the same day and at the same time had way more seniority than me. When I asked why, I was told her work experience while in school through the internship program counted for her and also made it easy for her to get hired because she had worked with them before. With all this information, I was determined to spread the word to all international students on the benefits of Internship (co-op) because there is no need rushing out of school and becoming jobless or losing out on all the benefits that comes with internship programs. I have also written about the benefits of internship on Cannime.com
Stories like these and those friends have shared inspired Cannime.
What are your goals?-
My goals through blogging are to
• Provide reliable and real information to immigrants.
• Create an atmosphere where immigrants can come together and help each other succeed through advice and shared experiences.
• Ensure that immigrants are updated on Immigration law changes and the impact.
Do you have a plans for your blog in the coming future? Please Share.
1. We plan to do more videos in the coming year and feature more successful international students and share their experiences. The goal is to provide prospective students and parents insights on what schooling in Canada is like, the challenges and the opportunities that are available to students after their studies. We currently have a YouTube Channel, however, there is not much content on there at this point. We have only have one video on Practicing Medicine in Canada –
It that has been very informative to prospective medical professionals and there have been demand from other professional for videos like that.
2. To assist Nigerians who are looking to study in Canada navigate their way through course and school selections, application processing, pre-departure and post arrival needs and airport assistance as well as accommodation needs.
As a Canadian Educational Agency, Our team of experts are made up of former International students whom have successfully navigated the Canadian Educational System, completed their studies and work in the Canadian system.
3. We have also started interview coaching and resume/cover letter review for immigrants looking for employment in Canada. Our plan is to assist immigrants get job interviews and excel at their interviews with job offers.
There you have it guys!!! Cannime by Florence Akpan!
Connect with Cannime